Journals, Photos and Videos

The next day on Pink Mountain

It happened. We ran out of propane. I would guess that it ran out early in the morning but couldn’t be sure. Additionally the pump, which is used to send water out of the storage tank, was not working.

The propane issue was easily resolved by carrying the 2 tanks down to the office to get them filled. The trip down was easy, the tanks are a bit heavy but not a big deal. The trip back was going to be a bear though. Filled tanks are quite challenging.

Bill, the propane attendant was off doing some chores in another part of the park so Lois, the attendant at the store and the lady who the night before when we were desperate for a place to stay was going to find us a place to park come hell or high water, asked a 12 year old boy to go fetch him. The boy walked out to a pickup, hopped in and drove away. Soon he came back and Bill showed up a moment later. I asked him how old the boy was and he told me his age and said that there are so many back roads here that it was commonplace for 12 and younger to drive. When he was finished, he grabbed the boy’s pickup and delivered the propane to our RV. Bill then helped me install it and I went in and cranked up heat the heat unreasonably high. Problem one solved.

Problem 2 was a bit more challenging. Somewhere in the bowels of the RV, there was a frozen line. The Bighorn is tested to 0 so there shouldn’t have been an issue. There is a heater vent in the basement that was slightly blocked that may have caused the problem. Though the temperature was going to get up to 30, we had to do something to get additional heat to the water sysem. I took one of the heaters and placed it in the basement connected with an extension to the neighboring power source. Although it’s not resolved yet, there has been some indication of improvement.

The outside temperature has escalated to a blistering 33.8 so much of the snow and ice is falling from the RV and truck. We’ve opted to stay an additional night here since it is $18 a night and they bailed us out yesterday as well as tomorrow promises to be close to 50. When we went back to the store and hear the “locals” talk of the storm from the day before and how it was the worst of the season especially because of the wind and blowing begin to realize how bad the storm really was.

Each time we run into a problem like this we try to take a lesson from the situation. We DID learn once “YOU ARE ON THE ROAD YOU ARE ON THE ROAD” on the Alaska highway, so if there is a hint of bad weather WAIT.....especially at this uncertain time of the year.

We are also learning many lessons about preparing the inside of the cabin for travel. Each time we think we have everything solved......we learn another lesson. For example, today all seemed perfect but the road at times was incredibly bumpy and it really jars the inside of the rv. When we set up tonight and opened the rv we found that the satellite receiver as well as other items bounced out from an upper cabinet and landed on the floor....small damage to the receiver but frightening inittially when you open the rv and see it on the floor! We do have to become experts at the child cabinet locks.

For the
remainder of the day we recovered from the Wednesday’s drive. It was really a tense experience. We tried to help nature get some of the ice off the vehicles with the heater and knocking it off wherever we could have an effect.

We also wandered around the grounds a bit for exercise. It really feels remote and relaxing here. We purchased some water - just in case the pump doesn’t respond to the heater. I read and worked on the journal. Maureen did some work on pictures.

We finished off the day with another stroll through the campground where we ran into Bill again who showed off his “new” truck. It is a cool 1990 Suzuki pickup with the driver controls on the right. The truck actually came from China by way of Grand Prairie, AB. Grand Prairie is a booming city that has a large oil industry. Bill was rightfully proud of his new vehicle since it gets 60 MPG and is in great shape. It looks like the perfect truck for this area.

The snow of last night has turned into the mud of today. Lois had warned me about the mud but it won’t cause us any grief. The roads are clear an we will be psychologically re-charged to get to Fort Nelson tomorrow. It’s only a 142 mile stint, but we that sounds perfect in our current frame of mind.